Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Sport Bike Just Won't Do

I had been talking to Kris about selling my 2009 Yamaha FZ6R at some point in the future. As a motorcycle, it tries to be a sport bike with less hard core edge than the likes of the R6 or even the FZ6 it is very distantly related to. Riding position is neither sport nor touring, somewhere in the middle. Wind protection is minimal and the seat is really only comfortable for about 20 minutes before things get sore. Power is good for a beginner bike but for someone with 7 or 8 years under his belt it leaves much to be desired.

I attempted to correct these flaws. New seat, tall windscreen, bar risers, new exhaust, etc.... And after all of this time and money spent making modifications I found it just didn't match my personality anymore. Motorcycle and rider each have personality and it's important to match!

Some time ago, Kris and I went to the Progressive International Motorcycle Show, saw many a cool bike, but we both gravitated toward the BMW booth and after some searching, I decided that I would own a dual-sport some day.

That some day has come. In the process of having our bikes serviced I made a rather impulsive decision to trade in my FZ6R. It's not a BMW (big bucks) but it is a dual-sport and I'm very very excited!!!

Meet my new 2014 Kawasaki KLR650! I love it so much! It's like riding an old Willys Jeep with a Diesel engine in it. Thump thump thump thump it goes!

As an added bonus, Kris and I match! What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. I have affectionately named her Mustache Ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) That's the best name I've heard of yet.

    Nice, I was thinking of getting one to get into dual sport, I might have to let you allow me a little test ride ;) have fun

    ReplyDelete